Hodgsonites was founded by J T Hodgson in 1872 with just 4 boys in a property on the south side of Godalming High Street.
This meant a walk of a mile and a half up the hill to School for Chapel at 7.45am; they were allowed breakfast in Verites, but treated as outsiders. In 1873 the increased house population of ten boys were relieved to move to “The Hermitage” on Frith Hill Road, much closer to School. In January 1874 a new home was ready for habitation but, as all the boys were of Under School age, some seniors were imported from other Houses.
The School bought the House in 1888. The move to the present building, designed by the son of Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, architect of the Memorial Chapel, took place in 1974 and was officially opened by the Queen in 1975.
In 1977 the Old Hodgsonites Mantlepiece from Old Charterhouse was reconstructed within the boundary wall opposite Central Dining Rooms.